Benefits Of Using An Infrared Sauna Regularly

What is an infrared sauna?

Infrared saunas, unlike conventional saunas, do not heat the air surrounding you. Instead, they use infrared lamps, which emit electromagnetic radiation, to actually warm the body.  These saunas use infrared panels instead of normal heat to quickly reach human skin, heating up the body before heating up the air says.

Infrared Sauna

An infrared sauna can run at a lower temperature, usually between 120 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit, than a conventional sauna, which is typically between 150 and 180 degrees Fahrenheit.

According to the manufacturers, only about 20% of the heat in an infrared sauna is used to heat the air, while the remaining 80% is used to specifically heat your body.

According to proponents of infrared saunas, the heat penetrates deeper than warmed air. This encourages you to sweat more intensely at a lower temperature.  This environment is more tolerable, allowing you to sit in the sauna for longer periods of time while increasing your core body temperature by two to three degrees.



What are the advantages of using an infrared sauna?

Sauna Fitness
Sauna for health and fitness

The alleged advantages of using an infrared sauna are close to those of using a conventional sauna. There are few examples:

  • Stress relief
  • Improved sleep
  • Assists internal detoxing
  • Improved skin health including firmer skin
  • Muscle pain alleviation
  • Relief from joint pain caused by diseases such as arthritis
  • Improves circulation in the body
  • Immune system support
  • Increased metabolism, may assist in weight loss


How do you use an infrared

Tannum Sands Sauna


Many people get infrared sauna therapies at a Fitness and Leisure Centre, gym, or doctor’s office, while others buy and install one at home. If you wish to enter an infrared sauna, you should be aware that they do not come with universal guidance.

There are rules you should follow, but how you use an infrared sauna is entirely up to you. Here are a few pointers to get you started.

  • Drink plenty of water:  Before using an infrared sauna, make sure you’re well hydrated. Before your workout, drink a glass of water. You should still carry water into the sauna if you are allergic to elevated temperatures.
  • Set the temperature:  An infrared sauna’s average temperature ranges from 100 F to 150 F, with beginners starting at the lower end and more advanced users at the higher end. If this is your first time, start with 100 degrees Fahrenheit. You would want to keep the temperature at this level for a few sessions. You should still raise the temperature in sessions until you hit 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • The length of time:  Start with 10 to 15 minutes for first-time users. You should increase the length of each session until you exceed the recommended duration of 20 to 30 minutes. Make use of the timer that comes with the sauna. You don’t want to be in there for too long or you’ll get dehydrated.
  • Clothes:  It is entirely up to you how you look. Some will wear swimming costumes, and others will enter nude, please use a towel to sit on if this is your preferred attire.
  • What do you do in the sauna?:  Relax by reading, meditating, listening to music, or spending time with friends.  But don’t fall asleep.
  • When the session is over:   When your session is over, it is recommended that you take your time to allow your body to cool down.  Feel free to take a shower or bath until you’ve cooled off,  making sure to drink lots of water to re-hydrate.
  • How many session should I each week?: Most infrared sauna recovery centers consider using the sauna three or four times a week.  If you are in good shape and can handle the four days, you can use the sauna on a regular basis.


Safety Tips when using an infrared sauna

Before you go on your first session, there are a few aspects you should be aware of.

  • Never use any sauna if you have consumed alcohol.
  • Always use the timer
  • If you are sick or have a headache, it is safe to avoid using the sauna until you feel better.
  • Sometimes you stand up after using an infrared sauna, you can feel lightheaded. If this occurs, make sure to get up gently and sit down until you exit the sauna. Drink water right after your workout and wait for your body to calm off before doing something else.
  • In rare circumstances, certain people can suffer overheating (heat stroke and heat exhaustion) or dehydration.  A sugar-free sports recovery drink, or a pinch of kosher salt in your water well assist in retaining electrolytes and recovery from dehydration.
  • If you have certain health issues, such as high blood pressure or cardiac issues, or if you are under medical attention, see a doctor before your first session.

Even though infrared saunas have been shown to be relatively secure, you don’t want to take any risks on your health and safety.


Clip Source: Crazy health benefits of sauna by Dr. Rhonda Patrick